Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kabseh 'Chicken and Rice'

This very traditional dish is the Fisherman's favourite, my mum is well known in our community as making this dish better than anyone else. So much so she is requested to make it for most get togethers.  I have attempted this dish many times, and this recipe is a mix of mum's and my sister's (Thanks Nahed!).  Honestly I can say mine is not as good as my mum's but I've had a request to post this dish and here it is.  As I get better and edit the recipe I will update this post.

Ingredients:
1 small free-range chicken (for boiling chicken 1 cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf, half lemon, half peeled onion, garlic cloves, pepper and dash of salt only)

1 onion, finely chopped
1 whole carrot, grated
4 ripe red tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (alternative: can of peeled whole tomatoes, crushed)
1 cup of long grain rice, washed thoroughly
Kabseh spices (1-2 tablespoons)* obtain this from Lebanese stores
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
pinch of paprika
pinch of all spice
Salt to taste
Butter and oil (or just ghee)
Fresh nuts (pine nuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews)* toasted or fried for garnish over the finished dish

Method:

1. Boil the whole chicken with spices listed near the chicken. Take the froth that comes off the chicken off. This froth if kept in the soup will become bitter so you must remove it.

2.  When the chicken is cooked (about 20-30 minutes), take out the chicken and place on a plate to cool down. Pull the meat of the bones and keep aside.  With the chicken broth, sieve it and set aside.

3.  In a medium sized pot, add the butter and vegetable oil (or ghee).  Add the onion and cook until golden.  Next add carrot and cook until very soft.  Then add the tomatoes.  Cook on medium heat until the tomatoes are broken down and very soft.

4.  Add the spices, pulled chicken (you dont have to use all the chicken meat), washed rice and salt.  Cook the ingredients a few minutes before adding the chicken broth. Add 2 cups of chicken broth to one cup of long grain rice.  Allow the broth to be mixed in and when it boils mix one last time and turn the heat down to low on the smallest burner and cover with pot lid.

5.  After 20 minutes or so, take the lid of check if ready.  Stir once more if finished and serve on a platter.

6. Fry or dry roast raw nuts on the stove. If frying, after golden pour out on kitchen paper to drain oil before putting over the Kabseh.

This dish is so good with Hummus dip and salad.  It can be eaten cold too.  My version of this dish always ends up a bit too soft. I've tried different types of rice (Basmati) and I have tried not agitating the rice too much. I think I need to watch my mum do this dish again...









No comments:

Post a Comment