Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pavlova

Pavlova's are an Aussie tradition. For all my non-Australian friends you must try this.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlova_(food) for more information, where they talk about the origin (apparently originating in New Zealand) and the difference between a pavlova and a meringue. The main difference is the addition of cornflour.




This is one of my father in law's favourite desserts. We started out buying the meringue base from the Supermarket and just whipping cream and adding the fruit to the top but then one day I found a recipe which I thought I would try. I tested it at home first and then it was his birthday and we presented it to the family. They absolutely loved it and since then even though my husband never liked it (based on bad experiences before) he changed his view and its one of his favourites too. It is a constant on our menu for any family gatherings especially my father in law's birthday.

The difference in making the base at home is BIG. Store bought meringues last for weeks on the shelf, which means there must be preservatives and usually a lot more sugar than necessary.

Since I made it the first time I've become really quick at putting it together and now it takes about 10 minutes preparation time. I always have spare egg whites around. I freeze them when Ive used yolks for other recipes. I freeze them in ice block trays, an egg white per hole. When they are frozen I crack them out and put them in a larger container and when its time to use them I just pull out enough for my recipe. Its a little bit harder to freeze yolks but ill explain this in a future blog.

I also love the fact that you can use light thickened cream or the good stuff if you like. And even better its covered in fresh fruit. My favourites are strawberries and passionfruit, but there are many variations. Choose whatever topping your family love.



Delicious...

Trust me you'll never buy another pavlova again...





Hint 1- You can use a different tray, some people use quiche trays, pizza tray, cake tin (one where the sides come free) or just a plain flat tray.

Hint 2- Remember to put vegetable oil (or other non fragrant oil) on the baking paper when preparing your tray to help stop the meringue sticking to the paper when you go to serve it. Also a good hint is to put oil in between the tray and baking paper so it doesn't fly up during the cooking process if you are using a fan-forced oven.

Pavlova

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour

Ingredients.

Base:
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup castor sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour, sifted

Topping:
1 1/2 cups cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh fruit (e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwifruit, passionfruit pulp)

Method:
Preheat oven to 150C. Line a baking tray with baking paper (See Hint 2).

Beat the eggs whites, cream of tartar and vanilla extract in a clean, dry bowl until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and glossy. I add one tablespoon at a time. Beat in the sifted cornflour.

Spoon mixture onto prepared tray and use a palette knife to shape it into a circle about 3 cm high and flat on top. Bake for 1 hour, until pale cream, risen and crisp. Cool in the oven with the door ajar or on a wire rack.

Whip cream with vanilla extract and keep cold until the meringue is cool to touch.

To serve, top with whipped cream and decorate with fresh fruit.

Voila!




2 comments:

  1. hey emoe... this is awesome. Can't wait to try and cook future posts. And for those of you out there reading this comment, the pavlovas not bad considering i don't like pavlova. So go ahead and try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be the next dessert I will try making! Hope I can find cream of tartar here. Site looks awesome and can't wait to read and try the new recipes!

    ReplyDelete